Monday, April 26, 2010

*Everyday Chatter

Graceland shutters after 25 years on Avenue A. [NYDN]

The Empire Diner launches its official Goodbye page.

Ghost signs across the blogosphere. [CR]

...as this weekend an old Coca-Cola sign in Soho gets covered in a drug-hazed flip-flop:

my flickr

The B&H gets new, old-looking, not bad signage. [EVG]

As the subway swells: "There was enormous growth at the Bowery station on the Lower East Side." [NYT]

Prankster sticks a Target logo on Fairey's Houston mural. [ANY]

6 comments:

Ken Mac said...

Cheyenne, now the Empire. Maybe it'll end up in Sheboygan.

Laura Goggin Photography said...

Sounds like the Empire will remain in place, but be run by the Coffee Shop people instead.

BrooksNYC said...

Friends and I were finishing dinner at the Empire when the '77 blackout hit.

There are days when I feel like the new city has completely swallowed my past. It's too weird.

Anonymous said...

was that coke sign on west broadway and grand?

Jeremiah Moss said...

yes, i think that was the spot.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that the Empire will soon be no more. I wish someone would buy it and keep it going right where it is!

I saw some young guys playing acoustic guitars in a quite lovely mash-up of hip hop and rock the other day on the street at a street fair (they call themselves "Earthtone"- I'm not connected with them in any way). It's things like that that give me hope that the city is still "real". Sigh.