Monday, April 19, 2010

*Everyday Chatter

The Times Square public lounge-o-rama sinks to a new low with giant plastic baseball mitt seats for tourists to rest their weary backsides:


Meet Mr. Feibusch of the ZipperStop, “Unzipping America since 1941.” [NYT]

Ray becomes finally legal! [NMNL]

Meet the Newspaper King of Chelsea. [WIC]

You gotta love lost telephone exchanges on city signage. [FNY]

Tuesday: Check out the latest Vanishing City event. [EVG]

New Yorkers with doormen potentially freak out about not having a doorman: "Who will safeguard my apartment as I sleep? Greet my children when they come home from school? Accept deliveries? Clean the hallways? Sort the mail? Operate the elevator? And who, for goodness sake, will let the cleaning lady in?" [NYT]

Houston Wall gets primed for Shepard Fairey. [BB]

Enjoy Richard Sandler's "Former New York" at the Millennium Film Workshop. [Gothamist]

Even today, now and then, "indie bookstores truly are the ones that can be movers and shakers when it comes to a book." [NYT]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

those baseball mitt seats are here just in time for Europeans stranded by the volcano to sleep in. - BN

Bob Arihood said...

Jeremiah , Ray is and has been legal for 20 years . He just never had a card to prove that he was . He got this card recently thanks to Cardozo law school's Elder Law clinic when they successfully made application for him to renew his permanent residency .

EV Grieve said...

That's one ugly baseball mitt seat. Why are the fingers so squat? Is the playing taking HGH?

Grand St. said...

The glove seat immediately brought to mind a classic "Odd Couple," where Felix redecorates the apartment in a modern style. The whole episode is great, but the chairs enter the picture at 4:30 in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az4e8pT4Yzw

Laura Goggin Photography said...

Yesss, ass-hands!

Anonymous said...

I never had a doorman and I don't think I'd ever want somebody knowing all my comings and goings, but I am glad that those 30,000 jobs exist for people who need them. I hope that situation gets resolved without a strike.

Unknown said...

Looks like Disney Land if you ask me.

Barbara L. Hanson said...

Phone exchanges: I was DEwey, my grandmother was BUckminster, other relatives were CLoverdale. I had friend that were NIghtingale.