Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stained Glass

There has been a window at 203 West 14th Street, right above the Donut Pub, made of blue and green stained glass, in some kind of floral motif, half-broken and bulging. I have admired it whenever I've gone by. Ephemeral New York called it "one of those hidden gems New York is famous for; you could walk by it a million times and not realize it was there."

I couldn't find my photo of it, but Ephemeral got one:


photo: ENY

And that's lucky for us, because the last time I went by and looked up, I saw the stained glass window is gone.

6 comments:

EV Grieve said...

Perhaps the new owner didn't like that people on the street couldn't look up and see him walking around naked.

Well, that's just ONE theory.

Ken Mac said...

tragic. I was told that this was the location of one of New York's better hotels around the turn of the last century. The one preceding the last one. Ya know. I was also told that if you go in the nails shop that is currently there, the ceiling hides elaborate eaves and wood paneling..you can still make out the form of a hotel from the street

Laura Goggin Photography said...

Ugh. Let's hope it's being restored and maybe used in another location...hoping...

Jill said...

Never mind the stained glass, can we talk about the best donuts EVER at the donut pub? I bought 4 there just this morning as it is impossible to walk by without my stomach screaming for that glazed chocolate wonder of carbs. No wonder I never noticed this beautiful window, the donuts are just too distracting.

Seriously, I regret that I never noticed that beautiful window.

Anonymous said...

oh no i loved that window & the gold lettering above and mauve color. i haven't been on that walk for a little while. i really hope it comes back.

-stef

Todd HellsKitchen said...

:(