EV Grieve took a look at the corner of St. Mark's Place and Second Avenue a little while ago, highlighting the St. Mark's Cinema circa 1984, so it seemed like a good time to put up these 1934 and 1935 shots of the spot from the New York Public Library.
Fifty years before Sixteen Candles and Mask, there were 10-cent double features of Bottoms Up and Palooka, then Werewolf of London and Laddie.
And next to the theater, in the spot that would later become an infamous Gap store, stood a frankfurters and root-beer stand extraordinaire.
From the Municipal Archives, here's the same corner in 1929, when St. Mark's was paved in cobblestones and streaked by trolley tracks.
And across Second Avenue, where BBQ is today, a simple drugstore and second-floor dentist: