Tuesday, May 15, 2012

McHale's Redux?

When McHale's beautiful bar shuttered in 2006, its building razed and replaced with a dead tower of glass, many in the city wept. We heard stories that McHale's might reopen one day in another location, but that fate did not come to pass.

Now a tipster is telling us something very curious.


2006

Peter writes in: "This past Friday I was walking with friends in Midtown and we stopped by the gin mill on West 50th St that has the old McHale's 'BAR' sign. The lady standing in front told us that 'McHale's is re-opening on 51st St.' We immediately walked over to investigate.

There is a bar under construction on the north side of 51st St between Broadway and 8th Ave, real modern looking, no sign up. We yelled in to what appeared to be the owner or at least manager who was going over blueprints or something. We asked 'is this place McHale's?' and he said yes. We cried that 'how can you name a place after a former business?' and he said 'why can’t I?' then backed off when he heard our outrage and came up with what I think is a story. He said 'I bought the name' and when we asked about 'Jimmy' he said he’d be there once a week and that they hired the old chef from McHale's.

Personally, I think the guy is full of crap."

We're not sure what to think. When Jimmy McHale closed the bar, the Times reported that he "still hopes to revive the place and is scouting out locations." Could this be it? Or is the story, as the tipster says, full of crap?

If anyone knows Mr. McHale, or has any further info, please let us know.

15 comments:

tiny tim said...

Hmmmm. Seems like a Pet Sematary/Fedorazation to me. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, but I doubt it.

Marty Wombacher said...

I agree with Tiny Tim, but as he said, I hope we're both proved wrong!

Dane Vannatter said...

but will there be banquettes, mismatched lamps, those wonderful huge burgers, the stagehands, the no nonsense drinks....

JasonR said...

Burgers: not huge. But plate-sized. My children do not believe me when I tell them...

FlyingSaucer said...

Hey guys sorry to announce this is not Jimmys McHales or noting to do with him.Sadly jimmy didn't want any involvement in this bar.Its the owners of McGees pub and Playwright who took over the name .

Jeremiah Moss said...

to FlyingSaucer--could you drop me a line tonight over email, I'd like to hear more about your conversation. thanks! jeremoss@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I stopped in there a few days ago and asked about the connection to the old McHale's. The owner who I spoke with was very nice and despite the fact that he was busy working, was excited that I had stopped in to ask questions. Turns out the bar is going to be more of a tribute to the old neighborhood and a number of the old bars. The name might be McHale's, but I was assured that they are not trying to be, or compete with, the old McHale's. And I will definitely give the bar a chance. It looks amazing inside and based on the various owners' reputations, I am sure we will not be let down.

Anonymous said...

I used to go there before Rangers games , and pick up my tickets from behind the bar

esquared™ said...

Not for anything, McHale's had a cameo appearance in <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwt_zqKvMBk&feature=player_embedded#!>Benny Hill in New York</a> special

Anonymous said...

It's definitely called McHale's - they've put a sign up. I got excited thinking it might have anything to do with the old lamented McHale's but sadly from what I've read here, it's not to be. Seems odd that they would take the name, because it's misleading. Still, I'll give it a try too.

Anonymous said...

This stagehand's exwife will be there for the plate size burgers I used to scarf when I was pregnant with a grandson of the then Local 1BA ...Haven't seen Jimmy in decades. And a locale right by The Iridium?! Wow.

Renee H. said...

There was only ONE McHales!!! Even though in the middle of the tourist section of the city, one could hide in there and enjoy quality of life with food, drinks and chit-chats. 2 days ago I had to drop off tourists at the musical Theater on 51st and could not believe my eyes to see a brand-new pub named McHales right next to it - unfortunately I was not able to stop, but will do it tomorrow (July 30,12) to check out if it is the original owner "Jimmy" -I have been hoping to have the McHales back ever since it closed... will keep you posted!
Thank you for writing and expressing what we "everyday nykers" all feel - the city management has killed our McHales, keeps on killing one neighborhood at a time... it has taken our Broadway away, it is about to kill China town - why are we not speaking up, why are we accepting such discomfort??????

Anonymous said...

I'm so curious. Maybe you can help. In the 1955 movie Marty, were there any scenes shot in the old mchales bar?

moon sign said...

Looks like the new Mchale's didn't work out...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-neon-sign-mchales-nyc/153233937925?hash=item23ad745605:g:5akAAOSwPxRb02hb

Jeremiah Moss said...

Thanks moon sign, just posted!