Friday, June 6, 2008

*Everyday Chatter

I have to say, Gothamist, I am truly flattered to be thought of as "the most depressing read in town" and "The J-Reaper." I like it.

Someone asked about a class war? Here it is. Next Friday: Join the demonstration against right-wing GOP'ers and bazillionaire evicters on the Bowery. [Gothamist]

Ready for "fashion-finance douche-dating"? It's how baby yunnies are made. Please tell me this is brilliant satire. [Gawker]

June 18: See Marshall Berman and others speak about eminent domain and urban renewal in NYC at the NYPL.

Last night's demonstration in Union Square looks like it was a festive one. Sorry I missed it, but VNY reader Northcountry Boy sent in some fantastic pics. Click here to see my favorite slogan.


Grieve gives us a priceless vintage New York magazine article entitled "The Lower East Side: There Goes the Neighborhood." It's from 1984, the year Big Brother culture took roost on Avenue B. This is a must read. Check out the culture map of 1984 EV/LES. [EVG]

Alex takes umbrage with Debbie Harry's Ask the Locals spot. [FP]

New angry NYC blog alert: Check out The Footprint Gazette for a view of life in the Atlantic Yards footprint, "whispers within the thunder of backhoes." [via Curbed]

At 4:50 last night, the owner and employees of Chez Brigitte were filling garbage bags full of stuff and closing fast. No last supper. The owner told me many people stopped in to say goodbye. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Everything has a beginning and an end."

Is this the last real barber pole left in the whole city? [Lost City]

Listen to the lady who lived under Coney's Thunderbolt rollercoaster. I'm with her when she says, "I don't want to remember anymore. [CoM]

Check out these sites featuring recent vintage (1980s and 90s) photos of the LES: Brian Rose and the EV/LES Project.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps that Debbie piece was filmed on APRIL 1ST?

That is the only logical explanation I can come up with to justify what she said in it.

Cari said...

It is kind of depressing to read this blog, but it feels necessary too. I'm glad you're documenting all the loss.

I'm working on a novel centered around the evictions of the ea 13th st squats in '95, motivated by much of the same feeling--the loss of the neighborhood and the city I love. Thinking back now, those evictions seem like the beginning of the end of the neighborhood as we knew it. (And full disclosure: I fled the east village in '99, priced out and went Brooklyn and then last year we left Brooklyn for Portland, OR.)

Anyway, I love this blog, but dearly wish it wasn't necessary, that there was so so much less fodder to feed it. Thanks for keeping the record.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the accolades!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

The link on Gothamist has gotta be a good thing...

But, sheesh...

Jeremiah Moss said...

i take it as a compliment.

Anonymous said...

Boy, isn't it just a shame to think the GOP finally has a significant fan base in New York City? I know WHY, of course, but still--it gives me chills just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of your blog. Great work.

Trish