Thursday, April 19, 2012

St. Mark's Bookshop Cash Mob

With news of St. Mark's Bookshop being back in trouble after last fall's near vanishing, Sunday's cash mob at the store was a great success. Co-owner Terry McCoy wrote to me in an email:

"The store was bustling. I wasn't sure what the results were until I got a chance to go over Sunday's receipts. In the hour between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. we did about $1,250 dollars worth of business, which is at least three times what we would normally do at that time. And not only that, but my staff tells me people were asking all day and evening how the cashmob had worked. All in all, we had the best day so far this month. And we needed it. It really helped financially."


photo: Shawn Chittle

St. Mark's says thank you to everyone who participated (check out Marty's coverage of the event). And for those concerned about the bookshop's future, Terry says the management is open to trying new things to keep the shop going. "I read all the replies to your blog entries about us," he said, "and I can assure you that last fall was a wake-up call."

St. Mark's Bookshop is now up on Twitter and Facebook--please join them both to get news and reviews--and they're hosting more readings and other literary events.

"We're trying to look at all options," Terry says. "We want to keep this place going, and that goes for our staff and your readers and the local community at large."

If you have ideas and skills to offer, please contact the bookstore.

7 comments:

esquared™ said...

Excellent. I usually would go to St. Mark's Bookshop for to look a book, and would only go to the other bookstores if they're not carrying it. Even recently paid full retail price there for Hemingway's "Sun Also Rises", even though I could've gotten it for a discounted price on the street or other bookstores.

And my other comment on the staff's demeanour may have come off as scathing, let's just say it was tough love, nonetheless.

Marty Wombacher said...

Glad to hear it was a success and that they want to hear and listen to ideas about making the book store work in the future. Nice to know that the cash mob was appreciated! Let's all keep buying books there!

tiny tim said...

Apropos to nothing, but just looking for a place to rant, I think I figured out what bothers me so much about hipsters. I was reading an article about how anchovies have become the hip new food and I realized that I've been eating smelt and anchovy and herring for years and years...so what bothers me about hipsters so much is that they think that they're the first in the door with everything. I mean fucking bait fish? Really? They're tasty, but fuck do the need to be artesenalized?

marjorie said...

Thanks so much for your efforts on this, Jeremiah. I appreciate having a reminder every few weeks to buy a book at St Marks. Sometimes life gets away from me and I like getting a little smack upside the head to go buy something there. Mitzvah and I get books! Win!

PS. FUCK ANCHOVIES.

Laura Goggin Photography said...

More readings and book-signing would be a great idea. St Marks carries so many local authors, it would be wonderful to meet them and I know I'd be more likely to buy and bring friends to the shop.

Caleo said...

The changes that St. Marks could make are relatively simple, but would go a long way towards attracting larger crowds on a continuous basis, and highlighting certain authors or themes. Readings and signings are a must.

onemorefoldedsunset said...

Glad the cash mob was a success & thankyou Jeremiah & Marty for getting it going. It feels nice to join in on something so positive.
Yes, the "discovery" of anchovies & the like is pretty ridiculous. When I was a kid we had backyard chickens, & I ate a lot of sardines on toast & fish paste sandwiches. Never knew what hipsters my depression-era parents were.