Friday, April 29, 2011

Rally for a Hospital

The former and still vacant Artepasta space on Greenwich Avenue has become the de facto action center for demanding a new hospital in the Village since St. Vincent's shuttered and was earmarked for condos.



Every window is filled from the inside with flyers and posters announcing the Rally tomorrow at 2:00 and asking, "Are you ready to trade your life for a condo?"



I don't know who is behind the ever-growing installation of flyers, but Artepasta was one of the 20 businesses that closed here since St. Vincent's shut down. Reported Crain's, "Many of the survivors are struggling, reporting revenue plunges of 30%, 40% and more."



What will this part of town look like when its businesses are spawned and supported by luxe condos instead of a neighborhood hospital?

We're going to see more major changes to the culture here. Come to the rally tomorrow at 2pm.

6 comments:

Jeni said...

Wow! interesting.... I work in the area in property management and lost some residents due to the hospital closing. its terrible that St. Vincents closed.

chummy's mum said...

My old 'hood. Sooooo sad. I was flabbergasted when they told me St Vincent's closed. I guess the shiny bright trust fund set do not get ill and have no need for a hospital? :( It's a real mess down in the WV now. Bleecker St turned into Soho with all the boutiques, Kim's is a spa. I remember when SoHo was starting to become gentrified and the freakin' MePa district was still schifo. Now there are sports bars.

Anonymous said...

I always knew the real estate interests (condos) would get their way It's too bad the community might not.

Grand St. said...

Next chapter of the mystery:
Why did the Artepasta fliers come down faster than they went up?

Jeremiah Moss said...

they all came down? very odd indeed.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember the Paisan Pub?
Back in 1975-1976 when I was in high school in New Jersey, I would often cut school on Friday and take the bus to New York. I'd walk from the Port Authority down to the West Village and roam around in search of record stores. On a few occasions I had lunch at a place called Paisan Pub, which I think was really more of a restaurant. I'm not sure of the exact location, but I know it was on Greenwich Ave between 7th Ave South & West 12th St. It may have been where the Good restaurant is now, or in what until recently was Artepasta. I've googled it, but to no avail.