Wednesday, August 25, 2010

France's Beauty Salon

With the movement of Habib's Place from Avenue A and 6th, the removal of his sign revealed an under-sign: France's Beauty Salon.



I can't really tell you anything about France's Beauty Salon, only that I took a photo of it sometime around 1995--I did have one more shot in my East Village 90s collection. Here's what it looked like.



I love this serious, Slavic-looking woman standing there among the fabulous 80s-style beauties with their Aqua-Netted manes. Is she the eponymous France(s)?

If I recall correctly, France's was one of those places where older ladies would go to get their hair set. Maybe some mustache bleaching. Maybe a blue rinse. Makes me wonder: Where in the East Village can you get a good blue rinse these days?

6 comments:

EV Grieve said...

I dunno. But I can tell you several places where you can get a blue Jello shot.

And I love that photo.

Melanie said...

Great photos! I vaguely remember this place.

Susan May Tell said...

Nice photos!

lr said...

beautiful photo of francis standing behind the glass. could be 1940, its timeless. the typography looks like the 50s. salon must have been there a long time.

Jeremiah Moss said...

thanks. i wish i could remember more of it. reminded me of the "beauty salons" my grandmother would go once a week, those big hairdryers.

Anonymous said...

isn't there an old school beauty salon next to the jennifer cafe right off of 1st av ? -stef