Thursday, August 19, 2010

*Everyday Chatter

Hallowed Ground: A few photos of stuff the same distance from the World Trade Center as the "Ground Zero Mosque." [DL]

"Between the pedestrian malls and fancy sandwich shops, the signs are unmistakable. New York City is going Euro." [NYO]

Fat Beats record stores to close. [Stupefaction]

"Back Rent Kills East Village Mom-and-Pop Shop Village Fabrics" and "the whole neighborhood is going to crap." [RS] via EVG

Spike Lee: "the Brooklyn I grew up in is not the Brooklyn today... I just think that when you move into a neighborhood, you can’t necessarily come in and just change all the culture at the same time. That’s my only problem with gentrification." [TONY]

Indie Press Night at Word. [Word]

Bed bugs helping to chase out rent-regulated tenants--and raise the rents. [BU] via Curbed

2 comments:

Laura Goggin Photography said...

The Village Fabrics story breaks my heart. I wish I had $20K to blow on fabric...

esquared™ said...

i recently saw this bike-sharing in montreal (bixi) and i was thinking that soon, bloomberg will be copying this. and here it is.