Tuesday, August 10, 2010

*Everyday Chatter

John Lurie, in hiding since 2008, dreams of playing his saxophone at the Astor Place cube. [NYer]

8/15: See Sensitive Skin at the Bowery Poetry Club. [BPC]

Save our community gardens--today. [TGL]

Richard Price on the LES: "For me, down here now, it’s like revisiting a girlfriend from high school,” he said. “The Lower East Side: I’m through with it." [NYer]

Save the East Village from the scourge of hot-pink party buses:


Enjoying the view into upstairs windows. [Restless]

Alter the future of liquor licenses in the CB3. [EVG]

Rag & Bone tries to appease the locals, local not having it. [BB]

Williamsburg to get a tiny indie theater. [BSr]

Watching movies on the deck of a Red Hook tanker. [FIB]

5 comments:

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Thanks for posting that John Lurie link. What a weird & horrible situation. I've spoken to him several times and its been difficult. He's been very unhappy to put it mildly.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have followed your blog for some time. My son graduated from La Salle Academy in June 09,which has been on the corner of 2nd and 2nd for almost 150 years. It is now gone. I am very distressed to have a school which served the community in a way that the passing of some stupid bar or restaurant never could has been ignored. There truly is nothing left on the lower east side for those who are not the wealthy class that has moved in. I believe the plan is turn this corner into another luxury development.

Caleo said...

My God, I had no idea the LaSalle Academy was gone.
At this point, the tide of change is so constant and all enveloping, that I didn't even notice the school wasn't functioning. Sometimes it's just TOO MUCH....

Caleo said...

So...I looked up more info about LaSalle, and apparently it is NOT gone.
Freshman report to class Sept. 9th.
If someone has different info please speak up.

Anonymous said...

They are still a school but after 150 years no longer at 2nd and 2nd. My son said they are also going co-ed but I have no proof of that.