Friday, September 26, 2008

Addukkan

Very quietly, without warning, the Addukkan Moroccan crafts shop on East 7th Street has shuttered. A For Rent sign is in the window.

Described as a shop for "Exotic crafted Moroccan jewelry, music, light fixtures, ceramics, tiles, mirrors and art," Addukkan has been on the street for many years. I don't know much else about it. The owner used to sit outside, a fixture, a familiar face.



Another casualty in the 7th Street Clearance, which began (in my mind) in January 2005 with the closing of George's Bar and the opening of the Velvet cigar lounge, which has attracted its share of masters of the universe. Though now I wonder if they'll be vanishing next.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad. He and Mr. Yury the barber were mainstays along 7th Street.

Wonder how long some of these shops will stay vacant? Loans aren't easy to come by at the moment.

esquared™ said...

Another EV closing by the Bald Man.

Anonymous said...

I really like the Moroccan shop

Anonymous said...

Shit -- I've been passing by and was hoping he was just renovating or something.

I remember that guy being there since at least 1989 -- he actually expanded into an additional storefront at one point.

Another nail in the coffin for unique, affordable neighborly small businesses on the Lower East Side.

I genuinely hope the landlord will suffer greatly for his greed....

Gary Levinson said...

Not quite gone... The owner has bought into Cinderella Falafel on 2nd Av.

Jeremiah Moss said...

gary, thanks, tell us more

Unknown said...

If this is the place I'm thinking of, I'm fairly certain that they sold marijuana out of there (as I've seen police go in and come out with the owner in cuffs and carrying multiple black bags, perhaps about a year and a half ago, besides other 'hood hearsay I've heard throughout the years.)So I'm wondering if that sort of activity might have anything to do with its closing. But yeah they've been there forever, and were very respectful neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Really cool guys indeed...I used to be one of their regular customers but not to buy any of their moroccan crafts...Booby is absolutly right...
:-)