Thursday, July 31, 2014

Chat 'N Chew

As neighborhood-changing high-end restaurants are shuttering due to high rents that they themselves helped to elevate, the trendy little places that followed in their wake will inevitably follow in their demise.

In 1994, the trailer-park, white-trash, small-town theme restaurant Chat 'N Chew opened right across E. 16th street from Union Square Cafe, which opened in 1985. Union Square Cafe is shuttering--and it looks like Chat 'N Chew is already down for the count.



Reader Ben writes in, "They closed down for 'renovations' a year or two ago and re-opened with an updated menu and look. Some of the old comfort food was still on the menu but much had been replaced with more upscale, trendy items. They were trying for a new and different crowd. It didn't work. I guess Sunday was the last day because Monday the paper went up on the windows. There is no sign or any indication that the space will re-open or if it's becoming something else."

The restaurant's website is still up.

8 comments:

divaraven said...

Shit... where in hell do I feed the kid now when we're in Union Square?! Ugh. Not doing a chain! And Republic is too loud and we don't exactly fit in with the crowd. Ugh.

JLTR said...

They had a good run... I didn't think it would have lasted as long as it did....

Eli Balin said...

I have to suspect they've just forgotten about the website. It still has the old menu, which lists the "Boss' Favorite" steak sandwich, which I was very disappointed to not see the last time I went there.

BoFiS said...

That is so sad! They should have tried to improve upon their comfort food menu and not pretended to be something different...then again, their landlord shouldn't have shoved them out by raising the rent so high I'm sure.

One of my first dates with my wife started at Chat 'N Chew, though the list of places we went on early dates that still exist is rapidly shrinking unfortunately :-(

Anonymous said...

First, bummed about this, but I didn't help as I hadn't been here in years.

Second, for the kid, try Grey Dog on University.

Tee said...

Dammit!! I was going to go here this weekend. This was the first place I ever had a Po' Boy in. I was introduced to this place around 2004 by a great couple, who unfortunately have parted ways. I loved the comfort food aspect of this place near Union Square.

Lisa MB said...

Aw man! We used to order from Chat ’N Chew all the time when I worked at a catalog agency on 17th (Plz) in the mid-90s. It was a bit on the pricy side, but it was delicious, and sometimes the agency paid for our meals (especially during those 14-hour days!). I miss old nyc.

Minnie Ashley said...

And apparently Chat n' Chew will be back! The sign in the window of their former location says just that. No date was given, but I pass the place every day, so I will be watching...