Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New Waverly Diner

After reports of the Waverly Diner's gutting for renovation, the place suddenly looked shut down and abandoned, with the neon sign gone from the front and ominous plywood in the windows--some decorated with "Yuppies go home" graffiti.


Last week

Had the renovation money run out? Was this another project dead in the water? Would we soon see a bank take over the corner?

All seemed lost.

But now the plywood has been taken down and, above the papered half of the windows, you can see new lighting fixtures and dark-wood paneling on the walls that recall the old Waverly.


New fixtures

From the limited view, the new Waverly looks a lot warmer than the original renderings would suggest.

There is hope.


Rendering by Jorge Fontan

9 comments:

EV Grieve said...

I'll take any positive news that I can get...

AFineLyne said...

So glad to hear. I passed by a few weeks ago & the construction project actually looked abandoned. Do any of your readers have insight into an Opening date?

Marco said...

The backwards Starbucks Coffee reflection in the window is somewhat telling, non? Beat back the hoards that threaten every damn unique person and place that makes the City the City.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Waverly to reopen. WAVERLY MELT DELUXE!!

Marty Wombacher said...

It looks promising, I just hope the original staff is kept on board and that maybe they kept the black and white photos that adorned the walls. Looking forward to checking it out. Hopefully the Waverly Melt will stay on the menu.

Jeremiah Moss said...

oh yes, the Starbucks ghost. eerie for sure. and Supercuts, too!

Laura Goggin Photography said...

I don't think I've ever said this in my life, but bring back the wood paneling!

Carol Gardens said...

I do miss the cheeseburger and the photos of mostly obscure actors! Some of whom are probably 20 years older now!

Miss Phoebe said...

I feel homeless without the Waverly. I am so glad to learn that there is still hope!