Thursday, August 18, 2011

*Everyday Chatter

Bloomberg has become unpopular at last--and this great bunch of comments shows how the tide has turned. [NYT]

August 22: Stand Up, Speak Out against anti-LGBT violence in Williamsburg and Greenpoint. [NYS]

Bostonian Bowery Beef moving off the Bowery--they were robbed by junkies 4 times in one week--and we might get a new bookstore out of the deal. [EVG]

Washington Square Park's new fountain design may be killing the trees. [WSP]

Advertising on the High Line gets classy:


The end is near for what was one of the largest meatpacking plants in town--a demolition permit has been filed. [OTG]

Park Slope's Henington Press shop, long empty, has a new tenant and it's not a wine shop--it's a framer. [OMFS]

Will renovation ruin the Fortune House sign in Brooklyn Heights? [LC]

Frances Bean has a tattoo of Quentin Crisp on her back--mom Courtney Love says, "I was incredibly impressed. I was like ‘Awww, that’s my daughter!’" [NYO]

2 comments:

Laura Goggin Photography said...

The Meatpacking District has been just a memory for me for quite a while. I don't even like going over there these days unless I pretend I'm a tourist in another city.

I used to go out on the pier at the end of 14th to watch the Fleet come in. As this event dragged on through the lunch hour, the meat-packers would come out and join me. There'd be just a small (10-15) group of us eating sandwiches, smoking, chilling out, and watching the war ships go by. I really miss that.

Ed said...

I remember giving up on the Meatpacking District sometime in 2004 when I walked through the area and nearly was hit by a speeding SUV. The people in the SUV then cursed at me. I think it had New Jersey license plates. Fortunately, its an easy area to avoid and I've had no particular reason to go back there. Times are tough, and I'm fine with the concept to ceding whole neighborhoods to tourists and suburbanites if we could just hang on to a few of the other neighborhoods.

On the first link, Bloomberg was never that popular. He had two narrow election victories after spending well over $100 a vote, and a substantial victory over someone who helped him win his first election. He's lost all his initiative battles, and failed to turf out a single state legislature who opposed him on his various development/ congestion initatives. Of course, now all incumbents are really unpopular because of the crappy economy. But its interesting that what amounts to the wholesale replacement of parts of the New York electorate by transplants from the suburbs hasn't appeared to have helped his numbers.