Monday, June 13, 2011

*Everyday Chatter

"Find it here, buy it here, keep us here." The sudden appearance of this sign posted all over St. Mark's Bookshop makes me nervous:


If you sit at the chess tables in Tompkins Square Park and you don't play chess, you might get arrested. [NMNL]

You're also not allowed to wear a skirt while riding your bike. [RS]

Eataly is killing Little Italy. [Curbed]

"My father is destroyed," said Claudio the barber's daughter. "He walked into my house with the landlord's notice last month and said to me: 'I don't believe it. Sixty years and they give me 30 days to get out!'" [NYDN]

More on this summer's demolition of Mars Bar. [Crain's]

And say goodbye to Joe's Locksmith. [EVG]

At the egg rolls and egg creams fest. [BB]

Looking back at the "High Line District" before there was a High Line. [BBs]

Photos of Brooklyn back in the summer of '74. [BI]

Pics of the city in the summer of '98. [FP]

6/15: At Lolita bar--the authors of Grade A Fancy. [DTR]

8 comments:

maximum bob said...

We've become the City of Shit.

Laura Goggin Photography said...

I was wondering about that W Village shop - ugh, lesson learned. You'd think he would have known the value of restocking the entire store, but that's really too bad.

As for Eataly, I don't get it. I walked in there on a Monday when it wasn't at peak crowdedness, but I still felt overwhelmingly claustrophobic and stressed. I walked around, but could not understand how it could ever be a pleasant eating or shopping experience. I'll take Little Italy on its worst day over that any day.

Jeremiah Moss said...

i have that same feeling when i walk by Yuca Bar on 7th and A--everyone screaming and why would they want to eat there in that racket? but they do. i don't get it.

one of the conceptual artists who tried saving the bodega said something like "now the owner can take a whole month off to do nothing." they meant well, but there's a major disconnect between that idealism and reality. reminded me of the Ideas for a New City fest.

Mykola ( Mick) Dementiuk said...

Damn, the St Marks Bookshop just stated selling my book '100 Whores' and now the warnings are coming in. But where else can that book be sold in NYC? Nowhere.

http://www.100Whores.com

James Taylor said...

Goggla, I agree. For years people have derided Little Italy for its supposed lack of authenticity and Corleonization. But the last time I walked down Mulberry it was almost a relief not to be surrounded by pretentious assholes. Maybe I'll start checking in on Times Square...

Caleo said...

And I remember when St. Marks bookshop was actually on St. Marks.

JAZ said...

I'd love to call Eataly the 'Walmart of Little Italy', but I'm afraid they would think it was actually a compliment.

Ed said...

I don't think Eataly is awful, but I also find it overcrowded and overpriced for what you get. But I don't think Little Italy is an alternative. The restaurants are actually bad, not just tourist traps, and then there is the matter that the Italians have moved away.