Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hudson Cats

There's a sign in the window at Myers of Keswick on Hudson Street announcing the Facebook fan page of Molly the cat. You might remember her as the cat who got stuck in the wall and captivated the city for two weeks in 2006.

During that ordeal, she even got a free therapy session from renowned cat shrink Carole Wilbourn, who played "the music of humpback whales and ocean sounds" to soothe Molly in her imprisonment.



Three years after her rescue, Molly seems to be doing fine. But all the attention may have gone to her head. I walked by recently to find her waiting on the shop's doorstep. She looked up, fully expecting me, a passing stranger, to open the door for her. Of course, I obliged. She entered and didn't even bother to say thank you.

Her next-door neighbor, an unnamed bodega cat, is not so famous. No celebu-cat, he's not a "Baby Jessica." He didn't get trapped in any walls or wells. He doesn't have a single Facebook fan and he never got featured in the New York Times. Does he care? Does he feel overshadowed to this day by his more celebrated neighbor?

We may never know.

6 comments:

EV Grieve said...

NO! Molly is now a yunnie?

Melanie said...

I love these cats. There was a great big grey stripped cat who lived and worked for the 99 Cent Store on E. 14th Street between A & B-unfortunately that store is now closed. Vanished!

Tricia said...

Gee, I wonder how many NY cats have Facebook fan pages? The cat at the Algonquin Hotel is also a celeb.

However I'd like to take this opportunity to try and find homes for six more genuine Coney Island Kittens. Not feral cats, they're from Luna Park Houses. You can't get any more Coney Island than that! The cats belong to a friend who doesn't have a computer, so I'm trying to help out. I took pix & will get them up on my flickr & blog asap. Just think, these kittens may grow up to have their very own FB fan page started by you!

Laura Goggin Photography said...

Aww, I'll be Bodega Cat's biggest fan!

Jeremiah Moss said...

i just like stirring up a little drama amongst the kittehs.

Tricia said...

I like kitten drama. Also musical comedy, mystery...

I made a flckr set Coney Island Kittens for Adoption. Please look and tell your cat lonely friends.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27469924@N06/sets/72157622197591671/