Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Industrial Art

After my walk along Myrtle Avenue, I took a turn onto Wyckoff, into Bushwick's industrial zone, an area like Gowanus or Red Hook, turning into art galleries and lofts, yet still functioning and buzzing with industry. Here you can still hear the grinding of sheet metal and clanking of mysterious machines.



The buildings are covered with urban street art. Wandering through the desolate quiet, you never know what you will see when you turn the corner. Maybe a hoochie mama straddling a gold Rolls Royce...



...or a wall of inexplicably goggled men rowing bathtubs across a sea of skulls inhabited by baby llamas--a massive mural by Broken Crow, Paint Goggles, and Over Under.



Perhaps most impressive are the "production walls" by Robots Will Kill, a three-sided collection mostly of faces, of cock-eyed beings wearing neckties and fezzes and men with mountainous double chins; along with a few animals--birds on a branch and a fish carrying what looks like a four-poster bed on its back. All of it set against the starkly beautiful industrial landscape.



Wander around and you'll come upon smaller pieces--tucked into corners and slapped onto abandoned doorways.



Faces wearing weary expressions, fed-up faces, men in hats, riding horses, women crying and dancing.

All these things. Maybe the world isn't ending
. Here, people are at work, on art and at machines. There is a catch-your-breath feeling. A quiet equilibrium.

Can it stay like this? Or will the tide of glass towers inevitably arrive and wash it all away?



See all my Industrial Bushwick pics here

8 comments:

Melanie said...

These photos are great!

Barbara L. Hanson said...

When were you there? Unless it was very early in the morning, I'm finding this emptiness a little scary. In the I could trip and break my foot and lie in the street forever until feral poodles picked my bones clean kind of way.

Jeremiah Moss said...

baha, i was there in the middle of a saturday afternoon. didn't see any feral poodles, but you never know...

Larvik said...

I lived in Bushwick for four years. Many of the streets near me were industrial and desolate at certain times, but not particularly scary or dangerous in feel. Also, I must say that many of the types of things that we mourn on blogs like this, are still happening in Bushwick. Tons of artists and art events, music, old school businesses, people who put creativity and culture before commerce. It's a really fun, albeit scruffy and quite rough around the edges place to live.

Barbara L. Hanson said...

David, I wasn't saying anything bad about Bushwick; I'm not happy in an empty field or on a lonely country road, either. Although there I would be devoured by rabid foxes.

Anonymous said...

lovely work Jeremiah. this is truly inspiring and renews my hope in the greater metropolis. Unfortunately, Bushwick is a long way from the EV in oh so many ways....

Jill said...

My storage space is over there.

I also took some photos a while back: http://mingum.blogspot.com/2008/09/south-queens.html

Jeremiah Moss said...

thanks jill. nice pics! makes me want to go to ridgewood.