Friday, January 30, 2009

Roxy Luncheonette

Down on John Street, between Broadway and Nassau, there's a little hole in the wall called the Roxy. It's one of those survivors, a greasy spoon that has somehow managed to elude the wrecking ball that's been crumbling the Financial District and the whole city.



It's got everything a luncheonette should have: chrome swivel stools, a quilted stainless steel backsplash, and good egg creams.



We can add this one to the egg cream collection: foamy, creamy, multilayered goodness.



A few more luncheonettes (most of them vanished):
Moisha's Luncheonette
Chez Brigitte
Cup & Saucer
Eisenberg's
Grand Luncheonette

10 comments:

Ken Mac said...

oh man, I love the look, but after eating there for a few years, I can't return. The burgers are good, don't touch the cream corn!

Kara Gott Warner said...

Thank you for sharing these little "vignettes" each day. Now a Floridian, (by mistake) I miss the city terribly, and think of it often. Hard to believe it's been more then 3 years since I've been back. When I read your posts, you bring me back in time just a little bit each day.

Anonymous said...

I love the Roxy! I do hope it lasts...John Street seems to change every day...the OTB turns into a Duane Reade...other little shops close or move...more old buildings are being renovated and turned into $$$ housing.

PS
Cream corn? Ack.

Jeremiah Moss said...

i would never touch creamed corn.

Anonymous said...

The egg cream looks great...but it won't totally satisfied me because I need it in a real glass!

The bloggah said...

Nothing says "scrumptous" quite like food on a plate that you couldn't break with a sledgehammer. I think all existing traditional diners should be marked and preserved as a historic part of our culture.

neilwaukee said...

eisenbergs is gone, man i used to eat lunch there everyday, the best grilled cheese sandwich ever, everyday, handmade by some old guy with white elvis hair, damn, loved that place. B an H is still open right?

Jeremiah Moss said...

eisenberg's is not gone. right? don't scare me like that! ...unless you know something i don't.

yes, b&h is still open.

Marjorie said...

You can go to my blog and see a photo of Zafis Luncheonette, on Grand Street.
cut and paste this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-dI6BOqBow4/STW3iCPBcOI/AAAAAAAABL4/Jn1aZTq_XAs/s1600-h/img609.jpg

then go here to see more old stuff:
http://marjorie-palimpsests.blogspot.com/2008/12/old.html

Marjorie said...

Eisenberg's is not gone. I took this photo a few months ago:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-dI6BOqBow4/SV0fh8OvQUI/AAAAAAAABa0/ZXoKkH61eLM/s1600-h/img673.jpg