Monday, March 31, 2008

Cheyenne Diner

VANISHING

A commenter to this blog (eeps) tipped me to the closing of the Cheyenne Diner, which I just covered two weeks ago upon the happy news of the Market Diner's re-opening. I called the diner to confirm and yes, sadly, this will be the Cheyenne's last week on earth after more than half a century at 9th and 33rd.




Just as I thought life in New York was getting better for our diners, another is put out to pasture. Maybe it will follow the Moondance out to Wyoming. I just hope the autographed pics of What's Happening's Fred "Rerun" Berry will go with it.

What else is there to say? I am shocked and saddened.

4 comments:

L'Emmerdeur said...

Which of the Four Horsemen are you, hmm? Stinky, Starvey, Slappy or Stiffy?

Anonymous said...

This is an outrage! These manipulative developers probably convinced the owners to sell their property, promising a "better life" in some gated community etc. Jerks.

Scumbags. I grew up going to that diner.

Anonymous said...

Great French toast, low prices, large booths by large windows. Another NY treasure gone.

Colonnade Row said...

I was nearby Cheyenne today so I went there at 4PM for a last supper. Terrible iceberg lettuce salad and moussaka with canned corn and carrots, but it didn't matter since Greeks probably haven't run this place in years. I should have just ordered a burger and a coke.

Anyway, I didn't go for the food but to say goodbye. There were several people there taking pictures and talking about how the lease had been lost. It really is sad and I walked home passing several luxury condo projects all promising the good life. I wonder where the people living there will get an old fashioned cheeseburger and milkshake served by a friendly waitress - or if they'd even appreciate the experience.

Good bye, Cheyenne, I love you!