Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Desco Vacuum

Desco Vacuum Sales and Service, at 131 West 14th Street, has been around since about 1950. It was (at least) a third generation business. Now it's gone.



A reader wrote in: "Owner of business (and also the building) said that it was becoming increasingly difficult to do business in the city, even with owning the property. He also said that millennials don't buy vacuums and the ancillary products, and it was hard to compete with that."

I bought my vacuum cleaner bags at Desco and always liked seeing its vertical neon sign, but especially the neon vacuum cleaner.



Now the shop is empty and the neon signs are dark.


2008

4 comments:

Mitch said...

Wow - I wish I had known about this place a few months ago when I bought a vacuum.

meesalikeu said...

i had been counting down when they were going to close. i got a new pack of meile vacuum bags there recently.

Unknown said...

I found everything I need for my vacuum at S. Feldman Housewares. They're uptown, but deliver for free. Great customer service too!

Unknown said...

Has anyone found another good place to repair Miele vacuum cleaners?