Thursday, June 30, 2016

Mitchell's Neon Returns

There's good news for the vintage neon Mitchell's Liquors sign on the Upper West Side. After reporting earlier this month that the sign was removed, to be junked, I heard earlier this week that it would be returned.

Stephen wrote in: "I thought you'd appreciate that it appears the neon sign will be returning. They have remodeled both the inside and the facade and there are definitely new holes placed where neon tubes should go. Can't wait to see it completed!"

He sent in the following photo of the new sign in progress:



I also heard from William, who wrote: "I passed Mitchell's Wine and Liquor today and the neon sign seems to be going back up! I saw the letters on the ground and they were drilling new holes in the facade to mount them. I also spoke with the workers who said it was, in fact, being reinstalled."

And behold!

West Side Rag shares the following shot of the new sign--a replica of the old. And Rob writes in, "The new sign is maybe not as elegant, and I haven’t seen it lit, but it sure looks good."

No comments: