Wednesday, May 27, 2015

East Village Cheese Update

Reader and local comic Ben Asher writes in with an update on the future of East Village Cheese:

"I spoke with East Village Cheese today. They said they found a new place on E. 7th st, b/w 1st and 2nd Ave. South side of the block. They expect to move in June."


photo: Kate Puls for #SaveNYC

As E.V. Grieve first reported, the Duane Reade on the corner of 10th and 3rd is expanding, and so three small businesses have gotten the boot: the cheese shop, along with a newsstand and the Excel framing shop.

Ben also notes "that not all of the businesses on the block are being kicked out to make way for the expanded Duane Reade." The UPS store and the Organic Avenue, both chains, will stay. Said Ben, "The woman who worked at E.vil cheese thought that was pretty lousy, considering E.vil Cheese has been there over 30 years and the framing store over 25 years."

8 comments:

Walt Gekko said...

Seems like it's easier for some landlords to kick out the Mom and Pop operations than kick out a chain that could tie such landlord in court, in some cases for years with in such cases funds to sustain such lawsuits. That to me is the real problem.

Anonymous said...

I see you will not post my comments.

Jeremiah Moss said...

What comments? I've posted every comment I've gotten. Be patient. I have a job and a life.

Laura Goggin Photography said...

I'm really looking forward to EV Cheese being closer to me and I hope the new location works out well for them.

Barbara L. Hanson said...

Very excited. Never know what you'll find there.

XXX said...

Well, I know which Duane Reade will not get my business...and I will do my best to not go to any of the Duane Reade and Walgreen stores...

Anonymous said...

It's mid-July and still no sign of the cheese shop on East 7th.

Riley Kellogg said...

East Village Cheese has been open in their new location for some time now. Yes! One rare example of a small neighborhood store forced out by a large chain that came back. Current info:
Address: 80 E 7th St, New York, NY 10003
Phone:(212) 477-2601
Hours:
Wednesday 8:30AM–6:30PM
Thursday 8:30AM–6:30PM
Friday 8:30AM–6:30PM
Saturday 8:30AM–6PM
Sunday 8:30AM–6PM
Monday 8:30AM–6:30PM
Tuesday 8:30AM–6:30PM