Thursday, April 17, 2014

Luigi's Pizza

As Funkiberry frozen yogurt (yes, another one) prepares to move into the corner spot at Third Avenue and 12th Street, the old sign has been stripped a few times. AAA Amici pizza ("rent-hiked out of there") was removed to reveal Laurence & Paul's Pizza. That, in turn, was just removed to reveal Luigi's 3rd Ave. Pizza.



Reader Sean caught the sign just as it was being destroyed. He sends in these photos and notes that the sign likely dates to the 1970s or 80s. (Does anyone remember Luigi's?)



Sean says, "I pulled an 'A' of the sign out of the trash. Thin aluminum sign front and thin plastic infill. Definitely not that old, but old enough to be cool. I will donate these artifacts to the right person."

Any takers?






9 comments:

Gojira said...

Maybe City Reliquary?

www.cityreliquary.org/

But why the hell couldn't they just leave it up and install a new sign over it, the way it had been done THREE TIMES? Why does everything old(er) have to be trashed?

John K said...

Who is scarfing down all this frozen yogurt? Given how slender most New Yorkers are, and how barely economical the fro-yo is, am I missing some hidden or ghostly tranche of people whose cuisine consists only of this stuff? Hasn't NYC, even with 8+ million people, reached fro-yo saturation? Also, given how pricey rents are these days, are these fro-yo outlets selling enough product to maintain their leases?

NYCJosh said...

I've lived in New York City my whole life, except for two years in Los Angeles (2000-02) that I refer to as "The Exile."

I was so happy every time I came back to visit New York from L.A. I could feel the energy from all of the people swirling around me on the street. On one of those trips home, I went straight from the airport to hang out with some friends on the Lower East Side.

After drinks, around 2 a.m., I remember driving up Third Avenue in a cab and seeing that pizza place. I thought, "Man I need some New York pizza right now." I asked the driver if he would stop so I could get a slice -- which he did -- and I got him a slice too, grateful that he would wait for me.

F--k you, Funkiberry, and the hyper-gentrification wave you rode in on.

Anonymous said...

"Funkiberry" is the kind of name I associate with smelly gym socks.

We should start a betting pool on how long the not-yet-open "Funkiberry" will survive! (And, at current rents, how much will their yogurt cost ... $10/cup?)



Anonymous said...

Big yummy in pink top with black tights.

D

laura r. said...

tried frozen yogart one time. worse stomach cramps i ever had. its all chemicals, disgusting-you can even taste the food coloring & softening. what an ugly yogart sign, welcome to the mall.

Anonymous said...

May I have the signs? Do I rate? I'm an artist living in the LES. :)

-RP

laura r. said...

new york is silly.

Anonymous said...

I live on this block of 12th Street, and am witness to a generation of privilege that does not see value or beauty in anything "old". Sign, schmign, betcha that Funkiberry will do fine....