Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Different Path

Last year we took a look at Efrain Gonzalez's underground New York, an amazing collection of photos from dark and dirty New York in the 1980s and 1990s. Now you can see his work in a slideshow this Thursday, March 6, at BGSQD on the Lower East Side.



"Images From A Different Path"
is a 30-year retrospective and artist discussion, featuring Gonzalez's shots of New York City's underground fetish club scene and social gatherings. These rare photographic images go deep into the golden era of the Meatpacking District's queer and S/M scene, including shots inside the infamous Hellfire Club and at Wigstock.


(Apex Tech!)

March 6, 7:00 p.m.
BUREAU OF GENERAL SERVICES—QUEER DIVISION
Located at 83A Hester Street


4 comments:

laura r. said...

those were the good old days. queers were queer, it was so much fun. now you get arrested by the gay gestapo for saying the "Q" word.

M. Heinz said...

I remember walking to a nightclub in the Meat Packing District in the late 1980s. On the way there, I encountered a burly truck driver with his pants around his ankles, screwing a transvestive prostitute over a gargage can. I thought to myself: I LOVE NEW YORK ! haha

Remo A. Peter said...

And there is also this: http://www.queerty.com/photos-reminisce-about-the-startling-drag-scene-from-late-80s-nyc-20140305/
I had wanted to post on your facebook page, but seemingly postings from outside are not allowed there.

Scuba Diva said...

I'm so glad I ran across this post; I haven't seen Efrain in several years, and I'm definitely going to the slide show. I also told a mutual friend about it, and maybe he'll be there as well.