Wednesday, January 4, 2012

*Everyday Chatter

A melancholy round-up of the beautiful neon signs New York lost in 2011. [NYN]

Urban Baby today will make you nuts with its discussion of rich New Yorkers who feel poor: "Under 1Bil in savings in NYC, and you cannot buy anything." [Gothamist]

Books--are they "increasingly illegal intoxicants"? An interview with St. Mark's bookseller Karen Lillis. [SS]

Massachusetts fish coming to 1st Ave and St. Mark's--to the former home of Prana Foods where Allen Ginsberg used to buy his organic, bruised vegetables. [EVG]

An Art Deco masterpiece in the Bronx. [SNY]

3,000 polar bears take the Coney plunge. [ATZ]

e.e. cummings in the Village. [OTG]

At the High Line, a Scores billboard girl gets a cosmetic cover-up for her stubble:

5 comments:

Laura Goggin Photography said...

Please tell me those urban baby commenters are fake...

Brendan said...

Clearly you don't understand the plight of these poor commenters. Sure they make a lot of money, but they also have to buy a lot of expensive things! It's horrible.

I love art deco. I miss living in upper Manhattan because of those buildings. I don't understand why people lust after brownstones, my dream NYC home is a top floor corner apartment in one of those things.

esquared™ said...

Here's an expense of an UESider, $500K/yr is barely livable, not that I'm defending them

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/fashion/08halfmill.html

starzstylista said...

Longing for the good old days? I shopped at Prana for 30 years - my most vivid memory is not of Alan Ginsberg but of turning the corner onto the center aisle and coming face to face with the largest rat I'd ever seen - cat size - waddling down the aisle. It was like 3:00 in the afternoon. I literally backed up and around the corner back to aisle one.

I continued to shop there, but I always peeked around the aisle to make sure the coast was clear.

Jeremiah Moss said...

good one. i never saw any rats in there, but i did like their (apparently lazy) cat.