Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fedora Dorato

We just heard the sad news from Marty that Fedora Dorato, former proprietor of the once-great Fedora bar and restaurant, passed away last night.


photo by Myrna Suarez

My condolences to the Dorato family. I will always remember Fedora's nightly entrance at the old place, how the whole restaurant applauded for her as she opened her arms to embrace us. She was warm and kind, and created a true refuge where the castaways of the city could feel safe and at home.

She is missed by many.


The old sign


Further reading:
Fedora's Goodbye
A Night at Fedora
A Regular Remembers
Faux-dora
Fedora's Last Days
Fedora Returns
Oscar & Fedora

9 comments:

Melanie said...

RIP. Sad news.

Laura Goggin Photography said...

So sad. The end of an era and a special part of NYC. RIP Fedora.

Mark said...

I am so sad.

My condolences to her family.

tim said...

This is sad. RIP. Another NY legend gone.

The bell is tolling...

At least Gabe has a nice tribute on his website.

Marty Wombacher said...

R.I.P. Fedora, a wonderful woman. She'll be missed.

Steph said...

R.I.P Fedora, a wonderful woman and a true nyc spirit. So glad I got to meet her. She will be deeply missed!

Romy Ashby said...

What a gracious and inspiring New York lady. I feel very blessed to have spent time in her company and in her delightful restaurant. I will always think of her as as the exemplar of life lived well and of aging beautifully. It seems that her exit was as elegant as her countless beloved entrances.
Rest in Peace, Mrs. Dorato.

Michael Beau said...

So sorry to hear of the passing of a Dear Friend for many years. she will be missed very much.

Anonymous said...

Rest in Peace, Fedora.