Monday, February 8, 2010

*Everyday Chatter

2/9: Coney Island's historic Shore Theater goes on the calendar for possible landmarking. [ATZ]

2/10: Check out the latest Vanishing City event at Dixon Place. [CR]

Take a look at what the Bowery's Phebe's used to be. [EVG]

An Irish wake at Jackson Heights' Cavalier restaurant. [LC]

Old phone exchange hangs on at 19th and 1st Ave:

my flickr

Ray's Candy now has delivery--complete with menus! [NMNL]

A report from The Gentrification of Brooklyn show. [OTBKB]

Check out Rivington Street circa 1986 when it was something between a pile of burnt-out trash and a work of art. [Blah]

Fantastic before-and-after photos of 2nd Ave. [TLB] via [Curbed]

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Frenchman TV photo on 19th and 1st Ave. That store was in business when I was a kid living around the corner (and I am almost as old as dirt) .

Next time you are in the area, take a look at the one-story building 50 feet from the southwest corner of 19th and 1st ave (on 19th). Has 1885 sculpted on the peak. Was originally a stable (before my time).

Pat A. said...

Recognized the Frenchman right away. I used to work in Maxim's Fine Wines and Liquors right next door back in the early 80's. My mother and Aunt worked at Craig's Pastry shop a few doors up from the Frenchman.They were there for many years when I was a kid. I can remember the phone number to Craig's to this day. GR7-2387. We used to call my mother at work every day to let her know we were home from school.I don't know why the Frenchman had the exchange OR? Was it a mistake on the sign? GR stood for Gramercy, being considered part of the old borders of Gramercy Park near by. Any ideas what the OR stood for? Thanks for bringing me back.

Jeremiah Moss said...

good question about the OR. anyone? ORganza? ORnamental? ORnery?

sunnydustmote said...

I have been following your blog for over a year now. I live in teh UK have visited New york several times and love it, but am not liking the way the city s losing it's identity.

I love your blog and would love you to write a book with your photographs. I would certainly buy it.

Thank you for all your blogs.

Jeremiah Moss said...

thanks Sunny. a book, someday, would be nice.

Grand St. said...

OR stands for ORchard (despite the Frenchman being more than a mile north).

On the flip side, there are plenty of GRamercy's on the LES...