Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Church Street Surplus

This thrift shop has been around for 47 years. At least that's what the proprietor told me when I stopped by recently to discover, to my surprise, the place is still there. Long ago, in an earlier phase, I used to buy vintage skinny ties here.



Just off Canal, in the chaos of hawkers calling "Rolex, Rolex, Rolex," and tourists grabbing for counterfeit handbags, you'll find this little shop packed with second-hand military wear, hats and vests, a wondrous array of wool Pendleton shirts circa 1950s, and a stash of vintage fabrics and draperies.

As for the proprietor--I'd love to know his story. He looks like an aged Hell's Angel in a black leather biker cap, black t-shirt, black jeans, black boots. He's probably been there for 47 years, too.

10 comments:

EV Grieve said...

Sure, I'm glad that this store is still here...But I want to hear more about your skinny ties days.

Melanie said...

I must check this place out!!

Barbara L. Hanson said...

There are still a fair few thrifts in the East twenties, too. Used to shop there in my office days.
And I'm with Grieve...tell all!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to here about the old surplus store. I spent many an hour there in my punk days looking for just the right clothes.

I would think, with times the way they are, they should be doing a fairly brick biz.

Carol Gardens said...

I bought my favorite vintage shirt here at least 15 years ago. It has chess pieces on it and I still wear it. Yep, the owner is a character. His prices are much better than most vintage places in the city,btw. Andys Cheepees is a total misnomer.

Jeremiah Moss said...

skinny ties. what can i say? i was trying to be "mod." or something. didn't really work. especially not on job interviews.

Kelly/Aperture Agog said...

I always make it a point to hit this store a few times a year. Even on the weekends, the tourists never think to turn the corner, so it is never crowded. I've got vintage shirts and amazing vintage patches. Also good for last minute Halloween costumes.

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the positive feedback. Have been in the 'schmatta' business for 47 years and still LOVE it. see you at the store!!the 'Old Guy Biker"

Jeremiah Moss said...

hey "old guy biker" (hope you didn't mind that comparison), thanks for writing in! your store is beloved by many. we're glad you are still at it.

Anonymous said...

This store is a treasure trove of items that artists, costume designers, and regular folks just love to look through. I always urge my out of town friends to stop in for a true NY experience. Lunch is just steps away in SoHo or Chinatown.