Wednesday, July 30, 2008

*Everyday Chatter

The next silvery box to land on the East Village is getting its robot skin--Cooper Union's "communal hive," which the Ukrainian community had no choice but to surrender to:


Remember the news that a high-end barbershop will go into the old Nick's Hair Stylists on Horatio? Well, it's part of the Freemans Sporting Club chain, a brand spun off from the restaurant in Freeman Alley on the LES. It's apparently a hipster thing. [MenStyle] via Racked

"Mike Schumacher, owner of Met Food Grocery Store at 107 Second Avenue, says NYSS Duane is working hard at lease renewal negotiations with NYU for his store. He expects a settlement early next week." But he needs your help. [SLES]

Coney Island is breaking the heart of one former urban planning student. [OneCity]

Noodle around the Hong Kong Supermarket with BaHa. [SENY]

Death Wish? And The Panic in Needle Park? It's a hot, gritty summer in NYC, thanks to Anthology Film Archives.

People really get upset when one Starbucks out of, like, one million closes--especially when the alternative is walking extra blocks--and some of them start petitions in protest. [Gothamist]

For the Tompkins Square Park riots anniversary, Abercrombie girls dance along to "Die Yuppie Scum." [AMNY]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm petitioning Bank of America for not having a branch right next to my apt., or at least an ATM in my apt. I mean, I have to go down four flights and walk 1/2 a block to make bank transactions?

Eugene Markow said...

You certainly bring back memories for me on your informative blog! The building in the photo which contains the horizontal light blue colors is the former St. George Elementary and High School, which I attended from the years 1969 - 1972 (kindergarten to 2nd grade) while living on 3rd street between avenue B & C in the East Village. If you look closely near the roof there is a gate surrounding the top of the building. That is where we had our school recess when the weather was warm. Those good old days were wonderful and I cherish my time spent as a child growing up there. It makes me sad to see the unfortunate gentrification of the East Village, where three of my grandparents and mother resided after immigrating from Europe, as well as my father. The unique ethnic flavor the East Village once had is quickly eroding. Very sad.