Friday, February 1, 2008

*Everyday Chatter

"Fascist" Bleecker Streeters muzzle noisy tour buses--hooray! Maybe they can help the East Village end of the tour. [Curbed]

New York makes top 5 most miserable cities list--with 2008 promising more and more misery for all but the super-rich. [Gothamist]

A "good old-fashioned barber shop" is coming to Park Slope. I heard the same rumor about the corner of 10th St and 3rd Ave in the East Village, site of the former Galaxy bodega, now being gutted. Maybe there is hope. [Brownstoner]

Woo-hoo! Indie coffee shop trounces Starbucks! The news that Sbux is struggling fills me with a warm-honey feeling of glee. [NYT]

Please note: Starbucks bags are not statusy enough to re-use for carrying your lunch to work. Throw it out. [GothamCI]

One sight I've always enjoyed is to look across the East River and see the Domino sign. Soon, when I look across, all I will see are 40-story glass towers. [Brownstoner]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually bristle when you get on your stroller kick, but I'm totally in agreement re: oversized kids in strollers. When your child is too old for the stroller: ACCEPT IT! By still accommodating them, what sort of message are you sending? It's not a damn rickshaw.

For what it's worth, both of my kids hate their stroller and would love to see it set on fire.

Jeremiah Moss said...

alex, i wondered what your take would be. glad you agree. out of laziness, parents are creating more laziness. i see the next generation with little atrophied legs who can't wait to buy their first Segway Personal Transporter. so much for walking in new york.

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with ya on the phone issue, Jeremiah.

Anonymous said...

Is anybody paying attention to the death of planet Earth? Throw out your Starbucks bag cause it's not cool enough?? Best thing would be to not go there in the first place, but if you must, ask them not to give you that unnecessary bag...and if you really need it, please DO reuse it.
Please tell me that was irony, Jeremiah...

Anonymous said...

hi,
as a resident of the et for the last 30 years, i love your blog. can you point me towards where you talk about Mark Scarfman, and the 50 most loathsome list? He's my new ll. I know you wrote about hime but i can't find it. thanks.
jb on 7th