Monday, January 9, 2017

Greek Corner Coffee Shop Diner

VANISHED

Late last week, I headed to the Greek Corner Coffee Shop Diner, as I often do, looking forward to a cup of coffee at the pistachio green counter. Instead, I found it gone. I was heartbroken.



A goodbye sign in the window said they'd closed on December 31--"After exactly 36 years, 5 months, and 15 days." They'd been on the corner of 7th Avenue and 28th Street since 1980.



Back in March, I shared the rumor that the place was going to close, but I could not confirm it. I was told: The building has been sold. The building might be sold. There are holdouts who won't budge. The building won't be sold. Everything will be okay. Who knows?

There's no notice of a recent sale in the online building records, but it could be imminent. Was the coffee shop pushed out or did they just decide it's time to go? In their goodbye sign they say they're opening a new place in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, called Blue Door Souvlakia. It looks nice, but nothing like the coffee shop.

I'm going to miss the Greek Corner. It was one of my oases. And another authentic New York coffee shop that has gone.


March 2016




4 comments:

Michael Penn Photography said...

Taken a few weeks ago

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=246667235761733&set=a.220038038424653.1073741836.100012553745790&type=3&theater

Unknown said...

Wow I loved this coffee shop. So sad.

Ms. said...

Sadder and Sadder

Unknown said...

goodbye to food. goodbye to independent business. what will replace this? fake yogart?