Wednesday, October 15, 2008

*Everyday Chatter

Remember all those stores being renovated across from Jackson Square Park? Ones like Soapology and Steven Alan are reopening--however, the Sweetheart Coffee Bakery thus far does not appear to be making a comeback:


I just like this shot of the old-school artisan at work on his gold-leaf signage:


"There was a time when many of us flocked downtown because it was the place where bizarre club kids, oddly seductive poet-drunks and scary-cool experimental theater types went. Now downtown is a glossy lifestyle magazine come to life, a place where tourists go to track down that 'authentic' street used in a fashion shoot or in last week's episode of 'Gossip Girl.' [Times]

From Canada, an inside look at what one author calls "The Dumbest Generation." [G&M]

State Senator Kevin Parker calls Bloomberg "the worst kind of petty, grubby little politician that anybody has ever seen in this city." [Gothamist]

Akron's not so bad. [EVG]

The old Bowery in black and white. [BBoogie]

10/18: Walk to save Brooklyn in the bootprint of the Atlantic Yards project. [DDDB]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Save Brooklyn from those fucking yuppies,yunnies and hipster asshats

Anonymous said...

There used to be a wonderful pizza stand, next to a green grocer at W. 13th & Eighth -- is it still there? Am sure no one at One Jackson would lower themselves to get a slice.

Jeremiah Moss said...

village pizza is still there--for now

Anonymous said...

j, thanks! am happy the pizza place is still surviving.

Marjorie (or Yetta) said...

Remember Jon Vie bakery? It was located on 6th Avenue at about 12th Street. I almost cried when I passed and saw it was gone... and now in the space is a Blue Jeans store. I can remember Sutter's, around the corner from the infamous Women's House of Detention, and the Loew's Sheridan, and the recently vanished Bright Food Shop. I could go on, but the day has almost passed into darkness and I am curious to see if the poster shop on 18th Street is still there, so off I go. (This blog has motivated me to have lunch soon at Zafi's.)