Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Man in the White Dress

The Man in the White Dress is running around the East Village, "spreading the joy," as he says to passersby, and promoting his film, Love Comes Out of the Butt, which will be screening at Anthology on July 7.



He is Matthew Silver of Bedford Avenue microfame, a.k.a. the "Cosmological Jester or the Village Idiot." He has been spotted screaming, "I am the master of all reindeer," outside the Village Voice offices. He's been threatened with mace and doused with water.



But on a summer evening, he's simply marching up and down Avenues A and B, entertaining the pedestrians in his weird Shirley Temple get-up, complete with fanny pack. Girls stand around and giggle uncomfortably in his presence. Old ladies throw their arms around him.



In the pre-hipster-vitriol days, such a man would be appreciated as part of the East Village fabric. Like the guy who wore a suit made of aluminum cans. Or any one of the people who come out of the woodwork for Wigstock (when it happens). He's got a 1960s vibe, a Radical Faeries energy. Hipster or not, I like it.



As he finishes his schtick and hops on his giant, heart-shaped lollipop, riding off into the sunset like a spastic boy-girl on a stick pony, making fart noises with his lips, I think: What a relief. What a relief from the dull barrage of cell-phone shouters and text-walkers, from the "woo-hoo" brigade, from the frat-boys and bachelorettes, from the slack-jawed super models and the pink-shirted princes of the Doucheoisie.

Love does, indeed, come out of the butt. (And Slum Goddess got a snapshot of that process in action.)

11 comments:

Bowery Boogie said...

awesome. saw that dude in the neighborhood this past weekend.

EV Grieve said...

Any relief from the dull barrage is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

It's those blue socks that make the outfit, I say.

Carol Gardens said...

The aluminum suit can man was artist Gene Pool. He also had a suit and car with live grass (the lawn kind) growing on it.

Jeremiah Moss said...

thank you, CG, for the Gene Pool reference. and here's a link with video:

http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/gene-pool-recycling-that-borders-on-insanity/

Barbara Hanson said...

I was in a really pissy mood about the state of the neighborhood yesterday. Stopped by my local, bitching, and then my friend JenBel showed me a video of that. Laughed, felt much better.

Anonymous said...

Long live the people that put his fliers about the hood on scraps of colorful fabric . Could people actually be trying to use creativity to promote something ?
I could care less how awful his play, performance really is or is not, the guy danced past me at 7pm on Ave B in a Tu-Tu carrying a heart wand.
If that does not cheer a person up, nothing will.
Thank you , happy love from your ass man .

Anonymous said...

I did a little hoe-down with him in front of St. Marks Church. He was very good at letting me lead. Note to JM: are the Douchoisie still extant? Haven't they all turned into Retrosexuals now that they've bought their summer Frank Sinatra hats?

Jeremiah Moss said...

Retrosexual! nice.

you know what i hate most about those Sinatra hats? i can't wear my old one anymore or else i might look like a member of the Doucheoisie.

Annie said...

I saw him in Williamsburg (I took pictures and put it on Flickr) and I saw the poster for the film but didn't put two and two together...I thought he was just another eccentric but I'm glad I read this.

Matthew said...

I am the SHADOW MONSTER!!!!