Monday, September 14, 2009

Fashion Noise

Last year, two boutiques in the East Village held a fashion show with a live, amplified concert on the sidewalk. Neighbors complained, police cruised by, but the show went on. This weekend, they did it again. Only this time, the fashion show was "for health care reform."



Again, the neighbors complained--one of them remarked: "How do they get away with this year after year? I can't read. I can't think. My walls are shaking." And again, police cruised right on by (they later stopped and questioned me for drinking an open container of cherry cola on the street).



The show went on and the sidewalk filled with onlookers. Old ladies detoured into street traffic with their canes and walkers. Across a few blocks of city, people had their Sunday suppertimes upset.

Not the worst crime in the world, I suppose. Just more invasive noise and crowding in an already unbearably noisy, crowded neighborhood. Par for the course.



But what about the chihuahuas in hoochie-mama outfits? Who will do the time for that crime?

4 comments:

EV Grieve said...

This used to be my favorite block in the neighborhood. It was such a lovely day out too — nice to have the windows open. I noticed that many people had to close their windows during all this.

kingb said...

noise pollution is too often overlooked in this city

yes its nyc, but no that does not give you license to be as loud and obnoxious as you want

Anonymous said...

Ok, that dog definitely does not wanna be wearing that piece of sh*t. I know that.

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad I don't live on 7th Street anymore. It used to be such a lovely, QUIET, street too. Quiet by NYC standards of course.