Friday, September 19, 2008

Mean Girl

Maureen Dowd recently visited Sarah Palin-ville and, in this must-read New York Times Op-Ed, paints a portrait of Palin as a strip-mall-loving, gun-toting, fossil-fuel-burning, Pentecostal, gay-hating Barbie doll. Said one Alaskan in the article, “It’s taking us back to junior high school. She’s one of the popular girls, but one of the mean girls.” Not to mention a former beauty pageantress.

And that's when I realized: Sarah Palin is Becky Leeman, the Denise Richards character in Drop Dead Gorgeous.



If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. Becky Leeman is a high-school girl, and a very mean girl, competing in a small-town beauty pageant. She will stop at nothing to be the queen.

A well-rounded gal, she's Vice President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club:



She loves Jesus:



And America, too:



And now she's poised to become next in line for the Presidency of the United States. Maybe one day her head will be carved on Mt. Rushmore, because Becky--I mean, Sarah--represents not just the Wal-Mart Moms, but the ever-growing clique of American Mean Girls.

What does this have to do with New York? Well, we know what it's like to be taken over by Mean Girls--cupcake-gobbling, shopping-bag-wielding, bachelorette-partying, pushing, shoving, cell-phone-elbowing, just plain mean girls. You know, the Heathers.

Girls have always had a mean streak, as this Times article goes in depth to show, but I feel like something's happened recently to make female meanness something to celebrate and wear like a badge. Maybe it's the addition of pathological narcissism. Maybe it's Sex & the City, Gossip Girls, Paris Hilton, Bratz, and the like. I don't know. But I know I don't want it in the White House.



P.S.
Amusing coincidence: Tina Fey, who is famously playing Palin on SNL, was the screenwriter of the movie Mean Girls. Sadly, not as good as Heathers or Drop Dead Gorgeous.

P.P.S.
Another movie comes to mind when I think of Palin and her Wal-Mart-brained supporters: Idiocracy. An absolute must-watch for a brilliant and scary view of our country's future.

P.P.P.S. Check out these sexist and sexual Palin t-shirts.

6 comments:

ShatteredMonocle said...

"Idiocracy. An absolute must-watch for a brilliant and scary view of our country's future."

More and more it is becoming present day reality. Now excuse me, I have to go water my plants with Gatorade.

Jeremiah Moss said...

it's got electrolytes!

Nick said...

Holy crap - that's a frighteningly accurate resemblance (I might like Palin a bit more if she actually did the "I got a fella" routine).

Still, on the bright side, I look forward to the administration of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho. (cue the Guitar Army)

hntrnyc said...

idiocracy used to be very funny. it now rings a bit too true and qualifies as required viewing. great story, btw.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Starbucks to be the next Showorld or PlayPen. I'll have a grande pumpkin latte with a handjob from Pumpkin, please.

Anonymous said...

mean girrlz suck--